See, I told you that I would insert some healthy meals into this blog. Let’s get back on track shall we!
So, this here salad was first made by my mom during a family BBQ. At first everyone was afraid to dig in because it looks somewhat like a bruschetta or salsa. But trust me, this is a salad and a very fresh good one. I make this to bring to parties and get-together’s, but there’s always left-overs because for some reason, people are afraid of it: especially my husband who doesn’t like tomatoes or cilantro, which are two of the main ingredients; if not for the substance, but the flavor as well.
This salad is made only with the freshest of vegetables, as well as some of the healthiest: Tomatoes, which are cancer fighting. Red and green peppers (aka. Capsicums) which are PACKED with vitamin C, Jalepenos (which contain Capsaicin) help to relieve cluster head-aches and bodily pain. Plus: any hot peppers will boost metabolism. Cilantro is Amazing apparently. I was looking up some info on it and it actually helps to remove metals from the body: “Some think that mercury poisoning could be the result of metallic teeth fillings. Every time a person with fillings chews, the fillings release minute amounts of mercury gas that may be breathed into the system (swallowing mercury is actually far less toxic than breathing it)…many people who have suffered from mercury poisoning … have reported fairly rapid relief by the consistent consumption of cilantro over a period of just a few weeks.” (www.indepthinfo.com/cilantro). Not only that, but it helps to cleanse the system and helps build immunity among others.
If you like the ingredients you’ll love the salad, so give it a try!
Ingredients: Makes a large salad bowl, which can easily feed a family of 4 or more.
- 4 Beefsteak tomatoes
- 1/2-1 whole Red and Green pepper
- Small can of corn (unsweetened)
- Can of Kidney Beans–or replace these with chickpeas (aka. garbanzo beans) for a different effect.
- A few stalks of Cilantro
- 1 large Jalepano
- Chopped Red onion (about a quarter)– either chopped or diced.
- 3+ Limes (for the juice)
- Salt (max 1 Tsp) and Pepper (max 1&1/2 Tsp)
- Tsp Garlic powder/salt (totally optional)
- Chop the tomatoes into bites-sized pieces (About 1 x 1″). However you do this, make sure you scoop out the inside-aka. the seeds and juice of the tomatoes to prevent things from getting soggy. [I cut the tomato into quarters or less and scoop it out with a spoon]
- Again, chop the green and red peppers to about the same size–maybe a little less. And please, take out the seeds and core of this as well.
- Slice or dice the red onion just small enough to be able to chew without feeling like you’re eating an onion, but not too small that you only get the flavor.
- Start with a small bunch of Cilantro leaves and chop them up. Then add to taste.
- Add all these to the salad bowl if you haven’t already.
- Dice the Jalepenos into tiny pieces. These ones ARE only for the flavor. If you want (I do): remove the seeds and core out of the Jalepeno. This will take away the heat– since the heat comes from the seeds.
- Open the can of Kidney beans/Chickpeas and rinse them off (there’s a sticky film on canned beans). Add them to the bowl.
- Don’t forget the corn.
- Salt and Pepper and a dash of olive oil– I didn’t include this in the ingredients because it’s REALLY optional.
- Juice the limes into the dish–try to avoid the very rare, but sometimes present seeds. For an extra hidden ‘touch’ zest 2 of the limes into the bowl as well.
Since the only dressing of this salad is S&P and lime juice, it needs to be tossed often, or at least right before serving. Plus:
The First WARNING of a dish: Within 2 days the tomatoes in this salad will go mushy. If you can’t eat it soon enough try tossing it into a deep pot with some Chicken broth, shredded chicken and maybe some noodles for a good soup.
Sprinkle with love and enjoy!